Original of African cultures, the Afro braid did much more than a hair ornament. The hairdo could identify someone’s social position or even reveal the availability for marriage.
Throughout the generations, the braid was becoming a tradition since it was this way that older women took advantage of transmitting their knowledge and wisdom to the younger ones.
For this reason, the hairdo, today so renowned for personality and style, is above all a symbol of the identity, roots, and beauty of the black woman.
Afro braids can have numerous variations of color, size, thickness, and points and the best way to decide between them when they think of joining the hairdo is seeking inspiration in a gallery full of Queens of the Instagram who already flaunt their own.
The hairstylist and specialize in braids Ainá Garcia, from the Carioca Studio House of Madame Garcia Afro Urban Hair, explains that the most common type of twists is the box braid. Its popularity comes from the ease in applying for various kinds of hair, but have higher durability and beauty in frizzy hair. Check out other tips from the professionals for those who intend to venture into the beautiful world of braids:
- Afro braids are made in small equal locks that are braided together with fiber, providing durability, thickness, length and even color to twists.
- Depending on your type of hair and procedure adopted, braids take 4 to 9 hours to be ready, so reserve one afternoon and go without haste.
- Braids can be washed with shampoo and conditioner regularly, but if your hair is not too frizzy, give preference to shampoo 2 in 1.
- Braids can stay up to 2 months in the hair, but avoid waiting beyond that time not to damage them.
- To avoid frizz in braids, sleep with a bonnet, handkerchief or even half-pants on the head to protect the hairdo. It is important to emphasize the historical identification that the Afro braid has with the black woman and its roots, being a hairdo that has much more to do with cultural property than style, which makes it more suitable for those of African ethnicity.
The Afro hair for obtaining thicker and bulky and for this reason the braids work perfectly, adapting to the wires and giving more personality and beauty to the hair. Master the techniques of braiding and separating the wicks or consult a specialized professional to ensure an ever-beautiful and maintenance-day visual, avoiding the breakage of your hair.