Taking care of natural afro hair requires a regimen consisting of eating healthy, drinking plenty of water and hydrating your curly mane. Whilst my hair is in a protective style during the cold winter months, I still ensure I continue to moisturize and condition my hair and I have found the multani mitti clay as the best clarifying clay that conditions and cleanses my hair. So let’s delve into finding out what this natural ingredient is.
I first discovered this clay during my ”slippery slope” internet searches when I was searching for a natural conditioning product that can condition my hair without containing parabens and sulphates. I became interested in it as it is one of the aryuvedic products hailing from India. ”Aryuveda” is a holistic maintenance of the mind and body with the use of ”mother earths” natural abundance. This product was a great find for me as I realized its uses would be good for my problem skin and for my hair. It has been used for many centuries in India and here are the benefits of this clay.
Multani mitti contains silica, calcium, iron and magnesium these minerals are essential for our body, you can imagine the great benefits these will have on your skin, I will write a post on the skin mask, however today we will focus on the hair mask. I made the hair mask using the following ingredients. Silica is essential for the hair structure and texture (hence the conditioning properties), calcium is vital for fuller, thicker hair. With iron promoting hair growth and magnesium helping with absorption of all these wonderful minerals.
- 4 tbsp of multani mitti
- 1 tsp amino acids
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- Coconut milk – enough to mix until you a get a smooth slightly thick paste
Applying the paste
- Mix all the ingredients until you have a smooth paste, ensure it is not runny as you will end up with the mixture running down your neck!
- Apply to freshly cleansed hair, (I use castille soap to wash my hair). Others use a squeeze bottle, depending how thick your mixture is, but I muck straight in there with my fingers as I then finger comb my hair during application.
- Wear a shower cap, or cling film your head, wrap cling film round until all your hair is under the wrap. I found this the best method as it traps the heat. Leave it for a minimum of 30 mins, I left mine for about 3 hours (why not!!)
- Rinse with luke warm water and ensure all the mixture is washed out of your hair
- Style as desired, after rinsing, my hair felt so soft and my curl pattern was defined.